Monday, April 26, 2010

Day 11

Today was a mediocre day in class. Rosie had a lot of extra energy in the beginning of class so I worked on circles with lots of changes of direction, the falling leaf pattern, and sideways to help calm her down a bit.

We turned all the horses loose again, tacked up, to run around in the arena and feel out their tack and get out their kicks. Today Eric had us set up some barrels for them to jump and Rosie seemed to do okay. She aimed for the smaller white ones instead of the larger blue ones and landed a lot faster than she came in. Just an interesting fact to note.

I also got to do my second ride on Rosie and did it without being ponied. She really got her feet stuck in the ground and wouldn't yield to the halter. Something I guess to pick apart and try to fix on the ground tomorrow. In the round pen was Amanda S., Fred, Brenda, and Martha all with their horses and Eric on his horse. I was a little nervous that once Eric started using his flag to help our horses get unstuck that Fred and/or Amanda's horse might come unglued and the round pen isn't a very large space to have one colt blow up and not have it affect the other colts... Really not sure of the overall safety factor of that. Everything went fine today, no issues at all except everyone was lacking forward motion. I'm not sure I like the format of us all in the round pen together but we'll see how it goes.

I also got an A on both my practical and written mid-term! Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment